Monday, April 24, 2006

Monday Morning Sports



Now this may be a bit unusual for me... sports on my blog but, it must be said that I am a big sports buff and enjoy the competitive cut and thrust of most american sports, football, baseball, competitive eating yet, my true love is the beautiful game - 'soccer.' The round ball, the use of a foot, head, knee or chest is for me the true sporting test and soccer is the greatest sport on the planet, watched and played by more human beings (dogs too!) than any other organized game and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. I follow an MLS team, although rarely if ever make it to games and have a long abiding passion for the 'toon', that's Newcastle United to the uninitiated. Both my parents are from Newcastle and although I wasn't born in the toon it is my spititual home and Newcastle United remain the one true abiding theme in my life. All other affiliations may come and go but the black and white stripes stay. So we won another game over the weekend and what looked like a forgettable season just a few weeks ago has turned into a horse race into European competition for next year. Shearer has gone (Gor bless 'im) but we have Owen for next year and the boys might just make a good splash in '06-'07. As for american sport, the baseball season is well under way and the American League East is going to be the most competitive division in all of baseball which will definitely guarantee my attention throughout the long hot summer. Football season is now practically a year long event and although really a Giants fan (12 years in NYC will do that to ya! because it's impossible to watch the Jets) I watch the Bills pretty closely and can hold my own in polite conversation. So I open up Mondays (and only Mondays) to sport. The rest of the week I will try to comment on politics, art and music, local and national and will keep the cool photographs coming. That's Shoala Ameobi scoring from the penalty spot - Newcastle 3 - West Brom 0. Stay tuned sports fans (always wanted to say that!)

No comments: