Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Old Con

There has been endless debate about the Neocon-Theocratic alliance and it's rise and fall, mostly the discussion centers around who is using who or whether the power bloc in this administration is truely christian in it's belief system or whether there is a belief system at all. Does the Shrub pray or prey, it is probably irrelevant. I think as we move into the end game here things will become more evident, not about the relationship between these two competing philosophies - and they are competing - but about each competing element and how they came to such prominence. Neither side will ever admit that they were used by the other so the infrastructure will never be exposed as perhaps most 'progressive' Americans would like, the secret meetings, in smoke and incense filled rooms, and the agenda discussed therein will remain just that - secret. That a deal was done and 'wish-lists' exchanged there is no doubt, I think SCOTUS and unhinged, unquestioning loyalty to dear leader were the lynchpins to whatever other agreements were thrashed out between the two and if the christian right lost out on many of their cherished theological misinterpretations - quickly abandoned by the neocons - they at least have SCOTUS as a lasting legacy to hang their mitres on and it was a huge victory that I remain furious and discouraged with. The neocon agenda, meanwhile, reached a precipitous foreign policy zenith with the conquering of a third rate power - Iraq, fed in part by a wave of unquestioning patriotic myopia on behalf of the American electorate and a coordinated coup d'etat of a spineless fourth estate initiated and sustained by the bretheren.

As most on the left watch and comment, more astutely than I ever can on, the "slow-motion car crash" that is this administration, the neocon/theocratic blastwall continues to provide political and amoral cover for this administrations incompetence and deceit, even as both entities suffer from perceived hypocracy and irrelevance. Am I sure about this decline? What's on the agenda for the next 19 months, what policies is this administration formulating, in what direction do they want to steer the ship of state? Anyone on the right talking about the next great policy initiative? - I didn't think so! They are still defending NCLB, Tax Cuts for the Rich, the Clean Air Act, Medicaid Reform, in fact every piece of legislation this administration brought forth and had rubberstamped by those idiotic congresses is under siege or under review, under funded or underground in the case of Social Security Reform. And, Iraq and foreign policy in general, the President can stamp his feet and mouth absurdities until the cows come home, the days of preemptive war and never-ending conflicts with zero accountability are over and rightly so.

Both christo-fascism and neocon ideologies have one fatal flaw - inflexibility. They demand that all the laws of society, religion even science conform to their rigid world view regardless of the improbability of that ever really happening and like an unbending piece of metal plunged into liquid hydrogen once exposed and tapped a few times on a solid surface the whole thing shatters. This society and many others like us have thrived on the ability of its people and government to absorb, adapt to and embrace potentially disastrous events, they become moments that define us, change us and mold us but, this requires elasticity of thought not rigid conformity. Catastrophe and contentment should be shared by all of us, no body owns the exclusive rights to either.

4 comments:

alwaysright said...

As someone who could be called both a neocon and a christian--at least by myself--I think I might be qualified to comment.

I personally don't feel any disharmony between my christianity and my neoconism. The fact that you view these ideologies as competing suggests to me that you don't understand either or both.

To me, Christianity is about loving one's neighbor as oneself, a phrase that captures the beauty and dignity of every individual. I think that the Christ story tells us that we are all divine.

The American way of life has allowed more people to flourish than any other that I know of. I guess it seems to me that a loving God would approve of that.

The business of America is business, and what is business really, but serving one's fellow man?

Neocons are nothing really but classical liberals who got frustrated with the drift of liberalism toward communism.

Neocons like me love and believe in America, and Americanism. That means freedom--not just of expression and religion--but economic freedom, which in the final analysis is the most important.

I believe America is a force for good in the world. I believe that our values are universal, and that when we live in harmony with the universe we prosper.

Today in the world, America is a great power. Our values hold sway over much of the world, to the benefit of us all. When we connect up with the rest of the world, everyone benefits.

righterscramp said...

I think I can clarify the 'Competing Ideologies' thusly; I don't think neocons and theocrats necessarily share, at least privately, similar concerns, although each will accomodate certain principles where they believe it is politically expedient to do so. However, the core plank of the religious right - abortion, gay intolerance, abstinence, papist anxiety, etc. are extreme stances in the eyes of most neocons, as you said yourself most neocons were disgruntled liberals who's great fear was communism not a bunch mary's taking over the world, why supplant one totalitarian extreme with another? I think I know a lot more about this than you give me credit for. And I think you fail to recognize that your own words reveal the schizophrenic nature of positions you cling to. When Jesus said 'love thy neighbor' did he just mean your christian neighbor, your American neighbor, your straight/white/guntoting neighbor? Was he preaching intolerance toward all others, did he ever say my way or the highway. Not in the New Testament I read in its entirety.

alwaysright said...

He did say that "No one comes to the Father except through me", which is pretty close to my way or the highway.

Of course He meant everyone when he said love thy neighbor. I think you're really painting with a very broad brush when you seem to label all Christians as intolerant (or maybe just me).

On the other hand, I am frequently taken aback by the virulent intolerance of Christians by many on the left.

As a Catholic, I acknowledge that there's a certain amount of Pope-hatred going on among some sects of Protestantism. Hell, I even understand it.

By and large, I think the Christian right are pretty good Americans. They have their beliefs, which are somewhat different than mine, but last I checked they have the right to believe what they want in America.

I think mostly they don't want somebody else's beliefs rammed down their throats, just like you and me.

Anyway, I suspect Im a helluva lot more tolerant of non-white gays than you are of Christians!

righterscramp said...

I don't necessarily agree with your 'virulent intolerance of christians by many on the left' statement. I think most on the left happen to be christian and I believe recent polling backs me up on that, there is a small but not politically impotent agnostic and atheistic contingent also but they trend more to indifference than intolerance. Which is probably what has driven the religious right into apoplexy, indifference can be very tough to deal with on an intellectual and emotional level especially when the religious right has hitched it's wagon to an anti-intellectual, anti-science, anti-humanist, anti-individual ethos. You cannot fight empirical fact with dogma and that is the trap they happily, for ignorance is bliss, walked into.

For me, the problem with all of the world religions is exclusivity... each one claiming to be the 'way'. They can't all be the chosen people, otherwise we have a very duplicitous God. I remain a spiritual but agnostic soul, this 'way' I can mine all the intellectual riches contained within the holy books and at the same time not have to abide by the extreme modern interpretations/manipulations bandied around by the snake-oil salesmen and money changers gathered at the gates of the temple/church/mosque.