Friday, June 23, 2006

All The Usual Cliches Apply



Crikey Bruce!!!! You'd think the guy had just scored the most important goal in Austalian soccer history... or sumpthink! Got to hand it to the Antipodeans here though, cracking game... lots of goals, action, tension, drama. And why the eff not, this is a pretty good Aussie club with lots of talent and that irrepressible Aussie cockiness, they deserved the draw, against an embarrased Croatian outfit and a birth in the final sixteen.... good on ya mates! Personally, I'm still smarting over my hapless Czechs, they were my sleeper team, my win-win, gosh darn it. I suppose I have to talk about the US Soccer Team, I'm sad to see them go and really thought they had a chance to carry on, it's an old maxim about golf I think... something about not being able to win a championship on Saturday but you sure can lose one. I think the US was done after Game 1, it's really hard to recover when you only have three games to play, especially at this level of competition, and when you lose game one, so convincingly, it's especially hard to recover. It is hard to believe that the US was caught so flat footed but I blame Arena, you have to have your team up for game 1, throw everything you have out there and be damned. I know I have championed caution in the first round, but every team threw their best eleven out there, if they had them, and played a strong game either offensively or defensively. I just don't think that, against the Czechs, we had our best eleven out there and for that I blame Arena, I still think the lad from New England should have been selected, I like his game and he is a proven goalscorer with enough experience for this level of competition. I probably would have taken Adu as well, blooded him, if he is the future... then let it be now. So we've got some games coming up... Argentina v Netherlands is a classic in waiting. I'll pick my last eight tomorrow... stay tuned!

No comments: