Saturday, June 10, 2006

England 1 - 0 Paraguay



Your classic World Cup opening match for England, nothing fancy, get the early lead and start poaching, sit back and see what happens. Not inspiring, I'll admit, but this is the world cup and to lose your opening game, well, it can be devastating. Now to my thoughts... Crouch was awful, always on the wrong side of his man and the ball, hence the gazzillion free kicks he gave away. He is not my favorite player and if truth be told I don't think he is a World Cup caliber player... he looks very naive out there, for a 6'-7" man to be consistantly out-jumped and out-thought by the Paraguayans, as good as their back four were, is a scandal. The English back four was solid, although I think Ashley Cole still lacks match fitness and any semblance of a brain, he practically gave the ball away every time he had possession and was nearly punished severely once. Gerrard played well and kept his composure, he is maturing into a very fine player. Lampard and Cole are just a dynamic combo in midfield and I see great things from both of them especially Lampard who just oozes class. As for the Paraguayans... not a bad outing, not very creative though for a South American team. I fancy them against Sweden who for all the world look like a team without a clue. The longer this match with T & T goes on the worse it will get for Sweden... at least that's what I think.

No comments: