Monday, June 19, 2006

Weekly Rap



Merde.....!!! Those French huh? I really can't explain it... it's beyond credibility but the French really are awful. I like the Koreans, don't get me wrong, but France are showing what can happen to a team, full of star players and formidable and recently acquired reputation, when they have no heart, no imagination and no guts. Team USA on the other hand... showed that a team with a basic lack of imagination and no real tactical plan but tons of guts and heart can achieve the impossible despite all the referees efforts to deny them the deserved outcome. They were splendid and a joy to watch and what about the fans? That was perhaps the most rousing, awe inspiring rendition of the national anthem I have ever witnessed, considering where it took place and the USA's current political standing in the world, it actually made me feel good about the US again... loud and proud, well done fans! In the grand scheme of things, the World Cup is living up to it's billing. It has been thrilling so far with very few ho-hum games, a couple of yawners but for the most part excellent. The stadiums are full and the fans excited, there has been very little hooliganism - good - and little if no trouble in the stands. I thought the second round of games would sort out the men from the boys but some of the boys are just not willing to leave this world stage yet... you get a hard earned point, you sneak a win... suddenly you have a sniff. Speaking of sniffs, I wouldn't like to be Czech right now, my pick to win it all looked decidedly bland the other day and thoroughly deserved to be run over by a very plucky Ghana club. Spain are running roughshod over Tunisia right now after a veritably queezy first half, I still can't get my head around this Spanish side... so much talent, so likely to lose in the next round.

No comments: